Obi Asika, in collaboration with Olisa Adibua and Tola Odunsi, at one time in the industry housed the finest arrays of talents.
The label later transformed into Storm 360 Ltd and branched into many other ventures like TV and reality shows at some point (which later collapsed), looked liked the next biggest label in the land rivaling the likes of Kennis Music.
It had an international cloud over it, with the management having adequate experience to make it Nigeria’s leading outfit. But somehow, things never seemed to quite work out, with some acts claiming never to have signed a valid contract despite releasing materials bearing the labels imprint.
The delay in releasing artiste’s albums like GT the Guitarman which led to disquiet in many quarters, a seemingly large family that they couldn’t cater for at the same time and things later got messy when a feud broke with top man Olisa Adibua, which led to him exiting the label.
Here is a look at 10 of the finest names that were once on the label’s rooster.
- Jazzman Olofin: The former member of X-appeal had a fair share of success on the label’s stable after the release of his monster hit remix ‘Raise the roof’ with Adewale Ayuba before they parted ways.
- GT the Guitar man: GT released the classic ‘Dreamer’ whilst with Storm and the world expected his album to seal his place as a superstar, but it got delayed for so long that his sounds got overshadowed by new acts.
- Sasha: She was the first lady of the house and did release her debut album on the label but despite making it her home for many years, she eventually had to leave to pursue other ventures.
- Ikechukwu: WFA’s own Killz joined Storm Records following his return from the United States, a move which was influenced by his association to Naeto and Obi, he also recorded relative success releasing his debut album under the label before they parted ways.
- Darey: The former OAP started his music career guided by the label after his botched deal with Sony BMG Africa, where he released singles like ‘Escalade’ and later went on to release his debut album ‘From Me 2 U’, the artist then known as Dare Art Alade soon left to start his own label.
Other acts who have also been on the label are 2Shotz, Tosin Martin, Sauce Kid, Eldee, Naeto C
Ehis Combs Ohunyon is a music lover and writer, follow on twitter @ehiscombs