- Local Rappers – Reminisce ft Olamide, Phyno and Stormrex: Off the Baba Hafusa album, Rapper Reminisce featured two other local rapper heavyweights to drop this tune that went on to become massive hit creating a lot of debates and generated responses from fellow rappers and lovers of rap.
- King Kong Remix – Vector ft Phyno, Reminisce, Classiq and Uzi: Following the success of the original version, Vector had a couple more remixes and this was arguably the biggest of them all as it packed a host of fierce rappers who did justice to the banging beat.
- Bad Belle- MI: This became like the biggest song off the ‘Chairman’ album, M.I hit a fair share of success with this as it got major airplays and the video helped take it to another level and off the back of this song, it got the Chairman on many stages across Africa.
- Karishika- Falz ft Phyno and Chigurl: Falz is credited as having arguably the best rap album put out this year with ‘Stories that touch’, and one of the leading singles off it is Karishika featuring rapper Phyno, the song which is quite humorous but lyrical caught like wild fire and became one of the biggest songs this year.
- G.O.D Remix – Lord T.R ft Mode 9: Already nominated on the Headies ‘Lyricist on the Roll’, T.R teamed up with former Swat Root mate and longtime friend, Mode 9 to deliver this gully rap tune. The two rappers almost always create classics every time they come together on a joint, and while this is no way near what they attained on Spazmodic, it is one rap song that will be referred to for a long while also. Modo’s verse was all shades of lethal.
- Jagaban – Ycee: Newbie on the scene, Ycee emerged as one of the revelations for 2015, his single Jagaban (Kudos to his team), was well promoted and became a household song on almost every platform, the song was so good that it got a remix with Olamide, the producer also did a really good job with the beat.
- Bank Alerts Remix –Ill Bliss ft. Ice Prince, Eva and Phyno: Illy was ‘Powerful’ this year and off the success of the original version of Bank Alerts in 2014, this song was actually released in the latter stages of 2014 but became big this year. Featuring three rap heavyweights who did fairly well on their verses.
- Blessing – Yung 6ix ft Oritshefemi: Contender for unheralded song of the year in my opinion, South South emcee Yung6ix overdid himself on this as he combines with Oritshefemi who also had a really good year to deliver this prayerful song that caught all form the North, West and East joining in to pray along for God’s blessings.
- Chukwu Agozi gozi – Rapper Ill Bliss makes the list yet again with this spiritual rap tune, it’s a song dedicated to his God and the melody, bars and delivery somehow come precise.
- Cash Only – DJ Xclusive ft Sarkodie, Cassper, Banky W and Anatii: From his debut album, ‘According to X’, the Nigerian DJ packs tow of the finest emcees from Africa and also gets Banky W spitting verses in one of the biggest songs off the continent this year.
Ehis Combs Ohunyon is a music lover and writer, follow on twitter @ehiscombs